How much does a single parent need for a child’s education?
When your love life doesn’t work, it's not easy to deal with, especially when you have a child together. You need to plan your expenses very well to raise them with quality, whether for foods, medical expenses, developmental accessories, tuition fees, university fees, personal expenses before graduating or studying abroad. How much do all these cost? Your child's tuition is a large expense, so you must plan your finances and think about the future thoroughly. Most importantly, each year, the tuition fees and equipment costs have been increasing. To relieve your worries about the education expenses, let’s get ready now.
- Tips for a single parent to happily raise a child
- Planning a child's expenses
- Planning a child’s education
- Expenses before going to university
- How much would studying abroad cost?
Tips for a single parent to happily raise a child
Being a single parent is not an obstacle to raising your child as you can still raise them with quality. Let’s find out some tips for happy family.
- Have a strong mind. Firstly, when becoming a single parent, everyone must have worries and stress, such as on expenses and taking care of a child alone. Once there’s any emergency, you may not be able to deal with it well enough sometimes. However, in the end, you have to stand up and be strong because life must go on and your child needs you.
- Encourage your child to be strong, responsible, disciplined and able to take care of themselves. You may start by assigning your child to take responsibility for small household chores first and encouraging them to save money so that they will have discipline in spending.
- Always give your child positive energy. Every day, your child keeps growing and must encounter uncontrollable events. You, as a single parent, may support them by being there to encourage them when they feel discouraged or disappointed. Be there for them and always stand by their side.
- Make time for your child. Work is important, but your child cannot be taken for granted as you are the only one taking care of them. Finding some time to do activities together will help strengthen your relationship with your child.
- No stress and no pressure on your child. Take care of your child in an appropriate way. Do not set too-strict boundaries or rules for them to follow. We should support things they like to do and are good at, allowing them to try as a life experience.
- Plan your child's future. Planning your child's future will help you live your life with more confidence in terms of expenses for both yourself and your child, especially those with child of school age. You have to plan expenses for a long future until they graduate as education expenses are considered a large sum of money.
Planning a child's expenses
When you have to become a single parent, even it is heartbreaking, life must go on as you have your child to take care of. The important thing is to plan expenses and plan your child's future, especially your child's education until they graduate, such as your child's necessary expenses. If you don't plan well, it can be troublesome in the future. Single parents must calculate the expenses to prepare for the long term as well as your child grows up every day, so everything changes all the time, such as clothing, food, educational equipment, tuition fees for each grade level, as well as risks to our children in the future that we may not expect, such as illnesses and accidents, which can always occur.
Planning a child’s education
A single parent needs a careful plan for a child's education. Let's see how to start planning.
- Find out about the cost of education of the school you want your child to attend or set a budget with an approximate estimate of how much the annual expenses will be.
- After that, calculate expenses and divide the money into parts, starting from kindergarten to university, to see how much money will be needed approximately.
- Once the expenses have been calculated, you should start planning and preparing money. Tuition fees for primary and secondary school are relatively larger than kindergarten because it is a rather long study period. Don't forget to set aside an emergency fund for use in times of need to be even more reassuring. For the university tuition, you still have a time to save up for it.
Expenses before going to university
After your child’s education is planned, let’s plan roughly how much your child will need before going to university, such as:
- Kindergarten-primary level: For government schools, the expenses will be around 20,000-50,000 Baht per year. For private and international schools, the expenses will be the hundreds of thousands to millions.
- Secondary level: For government schools, the expenses will be around 50,000 - 60,000 Baht per year. For private and international schools, the expenses will be the hundreds of thousands to millions.
- Bachelor's degree: For public universities, the expenses will be around 40,000-60,000 Baht per year. For private or international universities, the expenses may start from a hundred thousand or more.
Don't forget that, in addition to the tuition fees, there is also a fee for learning materials, clothing, including other activities.
How much would studying abroad cost?
For single parents who plan to support their children to study abroad, you may need a large sum of money and must also consider exchange rates and inflation.
For example, if you like to support your child to study at the Master's level in England, it takes only 1 year to study. Let’s roughly calculate the expenses and see the details as follows.
- Tuition fees: £15,000 - £20,000 per course
- Accommodation expenses: £5,000 - £7,500 per year
- Living, travelling and person expenses: £7,000 - £10,000 per year
Totaling approximately £27,000 - £37,500 or 1.5 - 2 MB
However, these numbers may not be exact as they may change according to the cost of living in each city and currency exchange rates. In addition, some universities increase tuition fees annually.
Therefore, single parents must prepare to plan children's education early on in terms of where they will study, how many years it takes and how much it costs each year until your child graduates and reaches their goals.
You can also choose to plan your future with life insurance as a guarantee so that your child can move on with life even when you are not around anymore.
Life insurance for a confident future
✔ Take care of your loved ones’ future with a stable guarantee
✔ Able to choose short-term or long-term premiums with long-term coverage until the age of 99 years
✔ Premiums start at hundreds Baht per month for the sum insured of millions.
✔ As a promise to take care of each other forever
“Life partner” can be specified as the beneficiary of the life insurance.
Life insurance for a confident future and a stable guarantee for your loved ones from Mung Thai Life Assurance
Purchase today for up-to-6-month installments or cashback up to 13%
☑️ Call Tel. 1766, available 24/7.
☑️ Contact life insurance agent or Kasikornbank and Land and Houses Bank branches.
- Coverage conditions are as specified in the insurance policy.
- Premium is eligible for tax deduction. Conditions are as specified by the Revenue Department.
- Conditions are as specified by Muang Thai Life Assurance PCL and the banks.
- Please study the details of coverage, conditions and exclusions before making a decision to purchase insurance.
Resources: Data retrieved on 26/10/2023